Businesses work with a set of processes and tasks that must be accomplished in a particular order for projects to be completed productively. Many of these processes or tasks are recurring and consistent. This set of repetitive activities is called a workflow. Managers need to identify, document, monitor and optimize these workflows so that all tasks are concluded effectively and efficiently. While essential, these processes can be time-consuming when done manually. Resource management software like eResource Scheduler comes with in-built features that help automate workflows so that repetition is eliminated while increasing output and minimizing errors.
What is workflow management?
A workflow comprises a series of sequential actions that set out to achieve an end goal. Workflows are the foundation for any business process and must be managed efficiently if the process is to be completed successfully. Workflows require:
- resources to be allocated to complete each stage of the task,
- actions by each of these resources to perform each step assigned to it, and
- results of each step which are then used for the next stage in the workflow until the final goal is reached.
Using workflow management software equips managers with tools to improve task management. They can streamline processes and assign tasks more effectively, which in turn optimizes workflows. Tracking the progress of the project also becomes simpler. Automating repeated tasks frees up the manager to focus on more prioritized activities. Redundant tasks can be eliminated, and potential areas of improvement can be identified. This gives a lift to overall levels of productivity.
Enhancing workflows with resource management software
Resource management software comes with various user-friendly tools that help managers digitally create optimal workflows. Each step of the workflow can be automated and restructured to give the best results at the least cost. These tools enhance the workflows to ensure optimum resource utilization and profitability for the organization. As projects become complex and resources are spread across multiple locations, more businesses are adopting workflow management tools to help manage resources more effectively. Let’s take a look at how resource management software helps boost workflows.
Advantages of resource management software
- Structured workflows: Resource planning software creates and documents structured workflows. It lists out the tasks in the workflow and how each has to be completed. This ensures that tasks are carried out consistently.
- Resource availability: Managers can view resource availability and capacity on the dashboard. Resource allocation becomes more efficient. Knowing how each task is to be completed gives managers the information they need to match the right resource skills to the right task. This ensures that the task is completed productively, on time, and within budget.
- Customized workflows: Tools like eResource Scheduler offer managers an option to custom-create workflows as per their own needs. They can also divide the workflow tasks into different stages. This makes the allocation of resources precise and accurate. They can also create a to-do list of prioritized tasks.
- Status checks possible: They can easily view the work in progress at different stages in a workflow with features like Kanban boards. This allows them to check the availability and capacity of resources and prioritize tasks.
- Flag probable challenges: It is easier to spot potential bottlenecks as well as redundant tasks. These can be eliminated, and errors can be reduced.
- Real-time reports: Keeping track of the progress of the workflow is simpler. Resource management software generates real-time customized reports that give project managers a clear idea of exactly how much of the work is complete and how much is still to be done. It also creates visibility for other team members.
- Smooth coordination and communication: Teams can collaborate more successfully using project planning software. Communication becomes more effective, and everyone is in the loop about the progress of the project. More effective cross-functional workflows can be created. This is especially important in the case of task dependencies.
- Automated processes: Recurring tasks can easily be automated using workflow management tools. Managers need not assign the same work repeatedly – they can simply create the task once, set the deadline, and give the command for it to be repeated. This saves time and resources.
- Easy coordination in remote teams: Processes can be streamlined across teams. Automation ensures that important steps are not missed – this is especially crucial if teams are spread across several locations.
- Time management and tracking: This makes time-tracking more efficient, especially when there are multiple projects and a large team in multiple locations. Managers can monitor deadlines and also track how much time each resource spent on a certain task. Sticking to pre-determined time frames becomes easier.
How can eResource Scheduler help with boosting your workflows?
Resource management software like eResource Scheduler helps enterprises manage their resources more efficiently. eRS is an integrated platform for managers to gain a bird’s eye view of resource availability, allocation and utilization. It enables them to create workflows and schedules effectively across multiple projects and teams. Project managers can use the drag-and-drop interface to amend scheduling charts and add alerts. Team members can access their schedules as well as check the project’s progress. Workflows remain uninterrupted and resource planning is more competent. Book a free trial to see how well it works for your organization.